Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Teen Review: LIFE AS WE KNEW IT by Susan Beth Pfeffer

YA Post-Apocalyptic
337 pages
Available now (Oct. 2006)
Library copy

Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove.

Michael's Thoughts: LIFE AS WE KNEW IT is a book written as a diary from the perspective of a teenage girl during a catastrophic event. Miranda lives with her mom and little brother, Jonny. Miranda loves to swim, Jonny loves baseball, and their mom enjoys helping and taking care of people and gardening. The first couple of chapters of the book let you know about Miranda's school, her life, and her background. It's all pretty normal.

Until a meteor hits the moon.

In my opinion, this book is not easy to understand unless you put yourself in Miranda's place. This story has a great plot and events that carry you through the book and make you anxious to get to the end. The family's been through so much but with a great deal of faith. With that great faith, they manage to work through the toughest times and still maintain their sanity. Miranda's mother cares for her and her brother during this tumultuous time like an Italian would a soccer ball.

While I think that this book has too many individual events and conflicts, I really got into it. Eventually, I was able to tell something bad was about to happen by judging Miranda's mood and that gave this book the diary feeling it was aiming for. Whenever, I finished reading for the night, I felt weird because it seemed as if it really happened, and it took time for me to adjust to reality again.

Teen Reviewer Michael: I love to play soccer and my viola. I also love being with and talking to my friends and family.

7 comments:

  1. Wow quite the book review. I was definitely a fan of the cover art, and now you have me intrigued with how you felt after the book was complete! Thanks for the review.

    I have to say I'm still loving the header, this place is such a little haven for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when books feel so real that it is hard to come back to reality after reading them. =) You have me interested, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Michael! This is a new book for me, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I'm definitely going to have to add it to my read list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really fantastic review Michael! Love that when you finished reading you were so involved it took you a little time to climb out of the book and back into your life. I've heard this is a great read, I'm hoping to make time for it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "it seemed as if it really happened, and it took time for me to adjust to reality again." Wow. That says a lot about a book. Sounds like a good one. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review, Michael! I've heard a lot of great stuff about this book, but for some reason I don't think I knew it was written as a journal. It's pretty crazy when books make you feel like you're living the events, isn't it? To me that's the sign of a powerful and well written story.

    ReplyDelete