Monday, September 26, 2011

EVE by Anna Carey

YA Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopia
200 pages
Available Oct. 4, 2011
Review copy provided by publisher (via Amazon Vine)

The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

Positive: The dystopia of Eve's world. A massive plague wiped out the majority of the population. The U.S. government fell. A King rose in its place and he rules with a velvet glove -- one that covers an iron fist. He's found a way to rebuild and repopulate the country on the backs of the orphans of the plague.

Positive: Arden. At School, she's a girl Eve and her friends loved to hate but she's so much smarter than all of them put together. She figures out what's really going on with the Graduates and takes off but not before telling Eve about the atrocities the King commits in the name of rebuilding. She's also got enough sense to learn how to live outside the walls of the School, to figure out how to survive in the wilderness.

Wish: A little more complexity to this story. It's a pretty simple plotline: girl finds out terrible secret about her world; girl escapes; girl runs into trouble and is rescued by cute boy; they both run into trouble; they figure a way out. The end.

Wish: That Eve weren't such a wimp. Unfortunately for her, she's a product of her environment. She wasn't raised to be brave. She was raised--brainwashed, actually--to be afraid of pretty much everything except for the King. Men? Hideous monsters who only want one thing. Wild dogs? They'll eat you. Anyone outside the walls of the cities? Wild, uncivilized savages who'd just as soon kill you as look at you. She's completely unprepared to leave the School and, without Arden, would have died within days. Still, I prefer my main characters to have a bit more gumption.

Overall: While it's not a stand-out amongst the vast array of dystopian novels currently on the market, EVE is a great starter for those who haven't yet dipped their toes in this genre.

Available through Amazon | IndieBound

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fast paced read- really like the premise. Thanks so much for this honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. I like my heroines to have a little more gumption as well even if they've grown up being taught to fear everything. I like the overall premise though even if it isn't overly complex, but I'm a little worried I won't deal well with Eve. Thanks Mary, you gave me a good feel for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review. I love characters with "fight" so I may not read this one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ehh... I like the sound of the world, but not so much the MC... we'll see. Thanks for the review, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting!!
    I wonder what happens to the graduates. and you kind of made me wish the book was on the other girl, Arden, rather than Eve since she does sound like a wimp.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I got a little annoyed at how weak Eve was, but at the same time I could understand why she would be that way. I ,too, loved Arden. She was so strong and everything I wished Eve was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been reading so many so-so books this week. This being one of them. I did like Arden but I thought the storyline was overly simple, like you!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you were much more positive about this one than I was - or more tactful at least! I struggled a lot with EVE, but it could be a good first dystopian for some :) Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I liked this one MORE because it was so simple and not as complex as so many other dystopians. I think it'll be fun watching Eve grow and discover more strength within. I was frustrated with the end though. All that work for THAT?! Kinda made me angry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ack! I am so not fond of wimpy main characters. :/ I have this to read on my Nook, and am hoping to get to it soon. Thanks for the heads up on what to expect, Mary! Great review, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds interesting. I don't always mind wimpy characters - it depends on how well I understand them. But I'm not a big dystopia fan, so I'll probably skip this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for honest review. Sometimes I'm okay with simple... not sure if I'll get this one or not though.

    ReplyDelete