Monday, July 11, 2011

Two Series You Shouldn't Miss

When I'm not reading in the young adult genre, I can usually be found sinking my teeth into the latest adult urban fantasy. There are a whole pile of awesome fantasy novels that came out this summer including two from a couple of my favorite authors: Kevin Hearne (a new fave) and Gail Carriger.

Shouldn't Miss Series #1: 
The Iron Druid Chronicles By Kevin Hearne
Publisher: Del Rey
Available now: HOUNDED, HEXED and HAMMERED
Upcoming: TRICKED (May 2012), TRAPPED (Dec. 2012), and HUNTED (2013)

I just finished Kevin Hearne's latest release, HAMMERED, last night. Completely awesome! A bit darker than the previous two, HAMMERED sets Atticus on a very dangerous path that seems like it's going to change everything for Atticus and his friends. What I am loving about this series, beyond the hot Druid, gods and goddesses from every Pantheon under the sun, the smart dialogue, and the witty cultural references is that Hearne and his publisher, Del Rey, tried something new and released three books in three months (May, June & July of this year). It totally worked for me. If I wasn't completely sold on the first novel, Hearne and Atticus snagged me with the quick release of the next two and now have me pining for more. Unfortunately, the next three won't be released in that manner. Nonetheless, it's too late for me. I'm hooked.

Shouldn't Miss Series #2:
The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger
Publisher: Orbit
Upcoming: TIMELESS (March 2012)

This series isn't really an urban fantasy. I guess it could be called a historical steampunk romantic paranormal fantasy. Quite a fabulous mouthful. SOULESS was actually my first foray into anything steampunk and I love this series because, while it is steampunk, it's not nearly as dark as the ones I've read since. I just finished HEARTLESS, the latest in the Parasol Protectorate, and it definitely does not disappoint. As action-packed as its predecessors, HEARTLESS features Alexia's "infant inconvenience", snooty vampires (yay Lord Akeldama!), hairy werewolves (woot for Lord Maccon), a mechanical and very deadly octopus, and trouble galore. Lovely!

Any suggestions on series I shouldn't miss?

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of Hammered but I do think I've seen Heartless around; it sounds cool, though I've never read steampunk, I think :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Parasol Protectorate series...it's so fun and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartless is so much more than the first three. This series just gets better. Alexia and her werewolf husband are having a conflict. These two strong willed characters drive the plot as we all learn more about their world. Alexia can be a dominant female and she is great for a this time period.

    ReplyDelete