Thursday, July 21, 2011

SOLID by Shelley Workinger

YA Science Fiction
236 pages (paperback)/204 KB (ebook)
Available now
Review copy provided by author for honest review

Teens who discover they were secretly genetically altered before birth are brought together at a classified site where they forge new friendships, find love, develop "super-abilities," and unearth a conspiracy.

Clio Kaid may be 17 and just beginning the last summer before her senior year, but her life is anything but typical. She's just discovered she was genetically altered before birth and is now headed to a top-secret Army campus to explore the surprising results of the experiment.
 
Positive: An interesting story. I really enjoyed Clio, her new friends, and the situation they found themselves in. The genetically altered kids are sent to a kind of summer camp set up by the Army so they can study the kids and teach them how to use their powers. But, while most of the people are there to help the kids, there are some who are out to use Clio and the others for their own nefarious purposes (cue the bad guy music). When Clio overhears a conversation that makes her question what's really going on at the camp, she convinces her friends to do some detective work. 

Positive: The formatting. This has got to be the most professionally formatted ebook I've ever read. And, yes, this includes ebooks from the big publishers (not including ARC's), indies, and other self-published authors. Usually, there are funky line and chapter breaks, one character's dialogue runs into another's, font size changes, and/or missing paragraph indentations. Thank you, Shelley Workinger, for making my ebook experience with SOLID just as enjoyable as if I had a physical book in my hands.

Positive: Oh, y'all, there's an ending with this one (and you know that makes me happy)! Even though there's a sequel that continues Clio's story, SOLID's main plotline comes to a satisfying end. Plus, I'm intrigued enough by the characters to want to find out what happens to Clio and her friends in SETTLING.

Wish: I hope that this author becomes one of those self-publishing success stories you hear about!

Overall: There are a couple of slow parts and some parts I wish were a little more filled out but, all in all, great pacing and a fun story.

Available on Amazon
Find more on the author and her stories here:

4 comments:

  1. I have this one on my e-reader waiting for me, I'm really excited to read it! So glad to know there's an actual ending too despite there being a sequel. I like when we get a full story but are left with enough to make sure the sequel isn't grasping at straws:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness. Do I have time to add another one to the reading cue? It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like something I definitely need to check out! So glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something about this cover continues to turn me off, but I love the great reviews I've been reading. Fabulous review :)

    ReplyDelete