Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Review: JINX by Meg Cabot

Final Grade: 85/B
YA Paranormal Romance
262 pages
Available now
Review copy purchased
Rated G

BLURB: Does Jinx have bad luck - or special powers?
Misfortune has followed Jean Honeychurch all her life - which is how she earned the nickname Jinx. And now her parents have shipped her off to New York City to stay with relatives - including her sophisticated cousin Tory - until the trouble she's caused back home dies down.
Could she even be . . . a WITCH?

Tory is far too cool to bother with Jinx - until Jinx's chronic bad luck wreaks havoc in Tory's perfect life--including causing Tory's crush, Zack, to start paying way too much attention to her red-headed cousin from Iowa. Only then does Jinx discover that beneath Tory's big-city glamour lies a world of hatred and revenge. Now it seems that the jinx that's driven Jean crazy may just be the only thing that can save her life . . .

REVIEW: I love Meg Cabot. I want to be Meg Cabot (or, at least, her BFF. We'd make awesome BFFs. We could go get slushie drinks and chat about books and writing. It'd be fabulous.). She's an incredibly prolific writer who knows her audience like the back of her hand. Her books are all enjoyable reads and JINX is no exception.

I picked this book up from the bargain shelf at Books-A-Million (Boy-howdy I love this shelf. Pair it with my teacher discount and I can walk out of there with a huge pile of books for my classroom that my kids are interested in reading. Yahoo.) and decided to make sure I read it myself. It was a quick and easy read, with fun (and nasty) characters that were easy to get behind and root for--and against.

Poor Jinx (Jean) is sure she's cursed: she's a terrible klutz, always crashing into things and breaking stuff. Her first day in NYC and her aunt and uncle have forgotten her at the airport, no one is home at their house to greet her except for the nanny, and, when her cousin finally gets home, Jinx is completely embarrassed in front of her cousin's friends AND a super-cute guy (how else would you feel if your cousin announced to everyone you had to leave home because you were being stalked?).

Tory, Jinx's cousin, is a great bad girl. She's evilly snarky, mean, back-biting...I just wanted to smack the black eyeliner right off her face (exactly the way I think you should feel about a bad girl!).

Zack is a really sweet guy--the perfect foil for Jinx. Too bad she thinks he's in love with Petra, the nanny. But he shows her the town and she's happy to just be friends with him. He's actually a bit too sweet for my tastes. I like a little more bad boy to temper that sweetness.

There were parts of the book when I was worried Jinx wouldn't get a stronger backbone and stand up for herself. However, she performs admirably when she has to (though I was reminded a bit of that movie THE CRAFT. Remember that one? With the group of witches and the crazy chick? Yeah, that.). All in all, JINX is a fun read. Go Meg, my new BFF!

AUTHOR BIO: Meg Cabot (her last name rhymes with habit—as in, “her books are habit-forming”) is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of over twenty-five series and books for both adults and tweens/teens, selling over fifteen million copies worldwide. Meg divides her time between Key West, Indiana, and New York City with a primary cat (one-eyed Henrietta), various back-up cats, and her husband.

Purchase from AMAZON and INDIEBOUND.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I really must read more books by Meg Cabot! They sound so incredibly fun to read, and this book is no exception. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg's books ALWAYS put me in a good mood. I have the first Insatiable, but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete