Saturday, June 26, 2010

Review: CATCHING FIRE by Suzanne Collins

Holy cats! I just finished one of the best books I've read this year-CATCHING FIRE, a young adult book set in a post-apocalyptic future (or is it dystopian? A little of both, I think). Make that one in a series. If any of you have not read HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins, you truly have to. And don't read any more of this review until you do-I have no desire to SPOIL things for you.

In HUNGER GAMES, we meet Katniss Everdeen, a 16-year-old girl from District 12, a poor coal mining district. She hunts, hangs out with her best friend, and goes to school. Sounds normal, right? Not so much. Her district is one of 12 under military rule and, every year, each district must send two children to compete in a gladiator-style fight to the death, a reminder to the people that rebellion will not be tolerated.

There is only one winner. Everyone else is killed by competitors or dies in a horrible manner thought up by the Gamemakers. Katniss's little sister, Prim, is chosen but Katniss volunteers to take her place. Along with Peeta, District 12's male competitor, Katniss heads to the Capital to compete in the games.

CATCHING FIRE picks up where HUNGER GAMES left off--with Katniss and Peeta settling in to Victor Village back in District 12. Katniss has abandoned her premise of being madly in love with Peeta and tries to renew her friendship (or is it something more?) with Gale but he has to work in the mines six days a week. They only have Sunday together.

Unfortunately, President Snow hasn't forgotten Katniss and her act of love during the Hunger Games. He saw it as outright defiance and rebellion. And he is going to make her pay--with her life and the lives of those she loves.

Though what she did was just a way to survive, Katniss (and her little mockingjay pin) has become a symbol of rebellion and hope to the Districts who have felt the kiss of the Peacemakers' steel-toed boots for too long.

Oh, yeah. It was fantastic. I can't tell you any more or I'll spoil it. I mean, I really want to tell you more but, no, I wouldn't do that to you. Just read it. Trust me.
 
*sigh* It bites that the final book in the series won't be out for another year. I can't wait. Guess I'll have to find some more good books to occupy my time.

Originally posted to http://marybrebner.blogspot.com/ on Sept. 6, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment